Oil consumption is considered
normal up to 12,000 mi (19,308
km) at a rate of one qt (one L)
of oil per 45 gal (170 L) of fuel.
After 12,000 mi (19,308
km), oil consumption is
considered normal at a rate of
one qt (one L) of oil per 60 gal
(227 L) of fuel.
(1) Check engine valve cover and gasket for
leaks and damage.
(2) If engine valve cover or gasket leaks,
tighten loose valve cover bolts (para 3-3).
(3) If engine valve cover or gasket is
damaged, replace valve cover and gasket
(1) Raise cab (TM 9-2320-365-10).
(2) Check engine oil filter and oil tubes
for leakage or damage.
(3) If engine oil filter is damaged, replace
engine oil filter (para 3-4).