Do not drain transmission oil when transmission
is hot. Failure to comply may cause severe
injury to personnel.
Transmission oil must be changed whenever
there is evidence of oil breakdown or
contamination. Oil breakdown or contamination
may be caused from overheating transmission
and/or oil cooler internal failure and is indicated
by discoloration, strong odor, or oil analysis.
TRANSMISSION OIL INSPECTION
Transmission fluid capacity is 42.3 qt
(1) Start engine (TM 9-2320-365-10).
(2) Allow oil to circulate for a few minutes.
(3) Place drain pan under transmission
(4) Remove drain plug from transmission
AOAP valve and press plunger to extract
oil from system.
(5) Allow approximately 1 qt (0.9 L) of oil to
drain into drain pan. Release plunger.
(6) Install drain plug on transmission AOAP
(7) Inspect oil for coolant contamination.
(8) If oil is contaminated, replace transmission
oil cooler (para 8-10).
(9) Shut down engine (TM 9-2320-366-10-1).
(10) Fill transmission (Appendix H).
Change 1 2-1509