STEERING GEAR SHAFT TIE ROD TEST
(1) Grasp steering shaft and ensure there is no up
and down play.
(2) Remove self-locking nut and bolt securing yoke of
top steering shaft to steering gear assembly shaft.
Discard self-locking nut.
(3) Remove yoke from top steering gear
(4) Ensure spline shaft of steering gear assembly
and yoke of steering shaft are not damaged.
(5) Grasp tie rod and ensure there is no up and
down or left or right play.
Check steering shaft U-joint, steering gear assembly
shafts, and tie rod for damage and loose or missing
mounting hardware. Refer to Appendix H to lubricate
An aligment mark shall be
used on yoke and steering
gear assembly to ensure ease
Check pitman arm and drag link for damage and loose
or missing mounting hardware.
PITMAN ARM/DRAG LINK TEST
(1) Check nut securing pitman arm to steering
gear assembly. Ensure there is no play.
(2) Grasp drag link and ensure there is no play
left or right and up or down.
(3) Check for loose bolts, nuts, and clamps on