11-3. REAR BRAKE SHOES REPLACEMENT/ADJUSTMENT (CONT)
Self-adjusting brakes will not self-
adjust without applying brake pedal.
Failure to comply may result in injury
(5) Adjust brake adjusting screw (5) until wheel drum (1)
does not turn freely or until heavy drag is noticed.
(6) Uncage spring brakes (para 11-6).
(7) Apply and release brake pedal several times to position
Step (8) requires the aid of an assistant.
(8) Readjust brake adjusting screw (5) while turning wheel
drum (1) until heavy drag is noticed.
Wheel drum clearance must be checked
along centerline of brake shoe at scallop.
Failure to comply may result in damage to
Record the number of clicks as adjusting
screw is loosened. All adjustments on any
wheel should be within six clicks of one
another. If not, repeat procedure or examine
for damage. Failure to comply may result in
damage to equipment.
(9) Back-off adjusting screw (5) to obtain 0.020-0.040 in.
(0.5 mm) clearance between brake shoe and wheel
(10) Remove screw (2), lockwasher (3) and brake adjusting
tool support from spider (4). Discard lockwasher.
(11) Install lockwasher (3) and screw (2) in spider (4).