H-9. LUBRICATION NOTES (CONT)
DRIVE SHAFT UNIVERSAL and SLIP YOKE.
Lubricate drive shafts with GAA every 3,000 miles (4,827 km) or once every three months, whichever occurs first, using
a low pressure lubrication gun. If operating conditions are severe or abnormal, service at 1,000 miles (1,609 km) or
once every month, whichever occurs first. Perform drive shaft hinging inspection every time drive shafts are serviced
A. Apply grease to both grease fittings until new grease purges from all four bearing caps.
B. If grease does not purge from all four bearing caps, perform the following steps:
(1) Loosen two screws on bearing cap that does not purge, approximately 1/4 in.
(2) Apply grease to grease fitting for bearing cap that does not purge until bearing cap purges.
(3) Remove and discard the two screws loosened in step (1).
(4) Position two replacement screws in bearing cap and tighten down evenly.
(5) Tighten two screws to 26-35 lb-ft (35-47 N·m).
A. Apply grease until grease appears at the vent in the welch plug.
B. Place your finger over the welch plug vent and add grease until grease purges from the dust seal.
C. If grease does not purge from the dust seal, inspect drive shaft slip yoke (para 9-2).
10. AIR/HYDRAULIC POWER UNIT and BACKUP HYDRAULIC PUMP. Change OHA oil every 24,000 miles (38,616
km) or once every two years, whichever occurs first. To service air/hydraulic power unit and backup hydraulic pump
refer to vehicle paragraph number 19-7. Air Transportability Hydraulic System Service.
11. ALL AXLE DIFFERENTIALS. Check oil level in differentials every 3,000 miles (4,827 km). Check oil level with
vehicle parked on level surface and axle differential at ambient temperature, allowing at least one hour to cool down
after vehicle operation. If oil is checked when axle differential is hot, it is normal for oil to spill out of the port due to
expansion from the heat. Oil level is considered full if it is within one inch of the bottom of the fill port. If oil spills from
the fill port when the axle differential is cool, it is overfull. Allow oil to drain until no more drains out. If the oil level is
more than one inch below the bottom of the fill port, refill axle differential with GO specified for the ambient temperature
until level with bottom of fill port. Change the oil every 24,000 miles (38,616 km) or once every two years, whichever
occurs first. Drain oil when hot after operation.
12. FRONT AXLE WHEEL END PLANETARY HUBS. There are two lube intervals for the front axle wheel end
a. Check and fill front axle wheel end planetary hubs every 3,000 miles (4,827 km) or once every three months,
whichever occurs first, as follows:
(1) Position vehicle on a level surface. Allow 15 minutes for vehicle to cool before checking oil levels.
(2) Position fill port at 4 oclock position. If oil flows from fill port when plug is loosened, let oil drain to correct
level. If oil level is below fill port, fill hub with GO specified for the ambient temperature until oil is level with
b. Drain and fill front axle wheel end planetary hubs every 24,000 miles (38,616 km) or once every two years,
whichever occurs first, following the repacking of the inner wheel bearings or whenever wheel end assemblies are
taken apart for other maintenance as follows:
(1) Position vehicle on a level surface.
(2) Position fill port at the 6 oclock (down) position.
(3) Drain hub oil (allow a minimum of 15 minutes for oil to drain down from vent tubes).
(4) Refill hubs with 11-13 ounces of GO specified for the ambient temperature.