9-2. DRIVE SHAFT AND UNIVERSAL JOINT REPLACEMENT/REPAIR (CONT)
Dry cleaning solvent (P-D-680) is TOXIC and flammable. Wear protective goggles and gloves; use
only in well ventilated area; avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothes, and do not breathe vapors.
Keep away from heat or flame. Never smoke when using solvent; the flashpoint for Type I dry
cleaning solvent is 100 ° F (38 ° C) and for Type II is 130 ° F (50 ° C). Failure to comply may
result in serious injury or death to personnel.
If personnel become dizzy while using dry cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air and medical
help. If solvent contacts skin or clothes, flush with cold water. If solvent contacts eyes,
immediately flush eyes with water and get immediate medical attention. Failure to comply may
result in injury to personnel.
(1) Clean inside of slip yoke (1) with dry cleaning solvent to
remove dried or contaminated grease.
(2) Clean spline plug (2) with dry solvent to allow inspection
Replace complete driveshaft if spline plug
fails visual inspection.
(3) Inspect spline plug (2) for cracks, chips, galling, and
signs of excessive wear.
(1) Install dust seal (1) on spline plug (2).
(2) Install slip yoke (3) on spline plug (2) with matchmarks
(3) Install dust seal (1) on slip yoke (3).