9-3. DRIVE SHAFT HINGING INSPECTION
This task covers:
Engine shut down (TM 9-2320-366-10-1).
Tools and Special Tools
Tool Kit, Genl Mech (Item 44, Appendix C)
Indicator, Dial (Item 21.1, Appendix B)
Tools and Special Tools (Cont)
Base, Magnetic (Item 2.1, Appendix B)
Goggles, Industrial (Item 15, Appendix C)
Rag, Wiping (Item 51, Appendix D)
Wear appropriate eye protection when
working under vehicle due to the
possibility of falling debris.
comply may result in injury to personnel.
(1) Place vehicle on level surface.
(2) Clean slip yoke (1) and shaft (2) with a dry rag.
(3) Mount dial indicator magnetic base (3) on bottom center
of slip yoke (1).
(4) Place dial indicator (4) 0.5 inches (12.7 mm) from slip
yoke seal (5).
(5) Push up on shaft (2) and adjust indicator (4) to zero.
(6) Pull down on shaft (2) and observe hinging reading.
(7) If reading is greater than 0.020 in. (0.508 mm), replace
drive shaft assembly (para 9-2).
(8) Remove dial indicator (3) from shaft (2).
End of Task.