(2) Inspect differential pinion gears (3) for cracked or broken
gear teeth, scoring, pitting, and corrosion.
differential pinion gear(s) that fail inspection.
(3) Inspect pinion gear bearings (4) for scoring, pitting, and
corrosion. Replace radial pinion gear bearing(s) that fail
(4) Inspect differential spider (5) for cracks, scoring, pitting,
Replace differential spider that fail
Front and rear axle differential spider
assemblies are removed the same way. Left
front axle differential spider assembly shown.
(1) Install four pinion gear bearings (1), differential pinion
gears (2), thrust bearings (3), inner thrust washers (4),
and outer thrust washers (5) on differential spider (6).
(2) Install four preformed packings (7) on differential spider
If pins in self-locking nut do not line up with
holes in inner bevel side gear, adjust self-
locking nut accordingly.
(3) Install inner bevel side gear (8) in wheel end hub
assembly (9) with holes in inner bevel side gear aligned
with pins in self-locking nut (10).